Importing all your contact lists into Agile CRM is now made easy. You can upload CSV files into Google Sheets and import data fields from into the CRM. You can import multiple phone numbers, multiple websites, multiple emails and multiple tags for a single contact. All your imported contacts get assigned to the user who imports the lists.
Below are the steps you can follow to use this functionality in the Agile CRM tool along with Google Sheets functions.
Step 1: Prepare your file for import
- 1. Open your Excel file in Google Sheets
Import your spreadsheet into a Google sheet to prepare for formatting. To do so, click File & Import.
- 2. Split comma separated columns Email, Phone, Address, Tags, and Notes can be multiple commas separated values. Comma values should be split into separate columns. To do so, click Data & Split into columns.
- 3. Select columns and use Find and ReplaceFind and replace “,” using the find function’s value box. If you still need your comma in the spreadsheet, you can place any comma separated values in double quotes (“”). To do so, press Ctrl + F & click the three dots to open more options & then follow the prompts.
- 4. Remove empty columnsRemove any unnecessary, empty columns from your spreadsheet.
- 5. Label your column headers The top row in your spreadsheet will be your label column. Make sure each column with values in it has a label at the top, in row 1.6. Remove unnecessary spaces before and after wordsThe values in your spreadsheet will become values attributed to contact and company records in Agile CRM. Make sure your values are correct. “First Name[space]” is different from “First Name” so be sure to remove unwanted spaces.7. Use the correct date format All date fields—including any custom fields that house dates—should be in the following format: MM/DD/YYYY. To do this, click Format Number & Date and select the correct format.
8. Download your formatted CSV fileOnce you have fully formatted your data in the Google sheet, click File & Download as Comma-separated
values (CSV, current sheet) to download your fully formatted .csv file.
Step2: Ensure your spreadsheet includes Name and Email as column headers
First Name and Email are mandatory when importing new contacts. Be sure your spreadsheet has these
columns, otherwise, your import will fail.
Step3: Custom Fields
If you have any custom fields that are not already recognized in your Agile CRM system, you need to
create them there before importing contact data. Be sure to name them correctly and assign them with the correct data type.
Step4: Tags Column
Comma separated tags should be contained in double or single quotation marks (e.g. “tag1 tag2” or ‘tag1,tag2’).
Step5: Adding Notes
A maximum of 10 notes can be selected and mapped during your contact import. Notes that contain commas should be replaced or contained in quotation marks (e.g. “abc, def” or ‘abc,def’).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I import multiple phone numbers for the same contact?
Yes, you can multiple numbers for a contact as long as each goes into its own telephone field. Those include Default Phone, Work Phone, Home Phone, Mobile Phone, and Other. Note: to do this you must have a separate column with a header for each phone field you wish to import data into.
- Can I import multiple websites and emails for the same contact?
Yes. To do this, you be sure that comma separated values are represented by separate columns in your spreadsheet.
- Can I import multiple tags for the same contact?
Yes, tags can be added individually at each contact level. Multiple tags can be added as comma-separated
values (e.g. “abc, def”). There is no limit on the number of tags you can import.
- How does contact assignment work?
The contacts imported will be automatically assigned to the user who imports them.
- What should I do if my import file is not being recognized?
If you encounter this problem you likely have something incorrectly formatted in your spreadsheet. To solve for this, look for the sample import file template on the import page and use that as a guide.
- Is there a size limit on imported contact files?
Yes. Each file you import should not exceed 1MB.