UTM Parameters are tags appended to URLs. They make it easy to track details like source, campaign and medium for new contacts getting added to your Agile CRM account, offering a clear analysis of what really works in terms of your online marketing, what can be improved, and your best-optimized sources of traffic.
For example, take this URL, which brings up our main marketing features page:
In the above URL, utm_source, utm_medium, utm_campaign, utm_term and utm_content are UTM Parameters. When you click on the link with attached URM parameters, the system tracks that you came to the marketing features page from the Agile CRM blog.
Note: UTM parameters do not impact the navigation of the URL. They are just few extra tags appended to the main URL.
UTM Parameters in Agile CRM
The parameters can be easily created and appended to the URL. The most commonly used and popular URL builder with UTM Parameters is Google Analytics URL Builder (With UTM Parameters), which lets you add parameters to URLs you use in custom web-based or email ad campaigns.
Agile CRM currently includes five different UTM parameters:
- utm_source: This parameter identifies the referrer i.e. the source of the traffic coming to the webpage (Google, Yahoo, your email newsletter, etc.). It is a required parameter.
- utm_medium: This parameter identifies the marketing medium (email, sms, tweet, CPC, etc.). It is a required parameter.
- utm_campaign: This parameter identifies the name of the campaign (typically a product name, customer segment name or promotion name). It is a required parameter.
- utm_term: The parameter identifies the terms i.e. the keywords used for the campaign. This is an optional parameter, but we highly recommend it. It is helpful in differentiating top-performing keywords from under-performing keywords.
- utm_content: This parameter is used to differentiate the campaigns by providing extra information. It is an optional parameter for additional details for activities such as A/B testing and content-targeted ads.
How We Capture UTM Parameters
Agile CRM captures UTM parameters automatically from URLs whenever someone visits a web page for the first time (as long as the UTM parameters are part of the URL). These parameter details are then displayed under Custom Info on contact pages in the CRM.
Note that contacts can be filtered further based on UTM Parameters by going to Contacts > Add Filters. You can also assign those filtered contacts directly to a sales or marketing campaign in Agile CRM.
Like many of our features, UTM Parameters work automatically in Agile. There’s nothing special to set up, so you can start taking advantage of our CRM analytics and user-level tracking today. It’s time to start running smarter campaigns based on real-time data, not predictions from a boardroom!