Electronic signatures are rapidly expanding and more businesses and organizations have noticed the benefits of electronic signatures. Worried about the security of e-signatures? This is how electronic signature software can help you create electronic signatures securely.
The use of electronic signatures in transactions, contracts, and business in general; saves time, cost and increases efficiency. However, speed doesn’t mean your security is lost in the process.
Just like a physical or ‘Wet’ signature, an e-signature is a mark that declares your agreement with the document it’s associated with. As the word ‘mark’ suggests, it can be almost anything and doesn’t need to look like your name or your ‘Wet’ signature at all. The use of a secure electronic signature saves the cost of getting all the signatures you require, in half the time, but speed doesn’t mean your security is lost in the process.
However, the risks of fraud are considerably lessened by using e-Signatures, as with services like Sign.cc, your information is heavily encrypted and contains a full log of the activity related to a document. So if someone’s changed something on the document you’ll see it.
So, how can electronic signature software help create electronic signatures securely?
How Do I Create Electronic Signature?
You can create an electronic signature in a few different ways. Each signature takes only a few clicks or swipes. Here are your options:
- Draw your signature using your finger or a stylus. If you have access to a touchscreen, you can use your finger to create an electronic signature directly in your document. This is particularly helpful when you’re signing on a mobile device or tablet!
- Upload an image of your signature. Use your phone or camera to take a picture of your paper signature. Once it’s uploaded, it will be turned into a .png file that overlays neatly over the signature line in your document.
- Use your cursor to draw your signature. Using your mouse or your touchpad, you can drag your cursor along the signature line to create a unique electronic signature.
- Use your keyboard to type in your signature. This is the easiest way to create your electronic signature. Once you’ve typed in your name, you can select a font that best matches your paper signature.
Is it secure to use electronic signatures to sign documents?
Yes, it is absolutely secure as long as you use verified and secure software or providers to create an electronic signature.
How to Create Electronic Signature Securely
Using an electronic signature service provider, you should be able to create an electronic signature securely through the following means:
Most services will send unique links in emails to the signers. You will be required to click a link through which you will access the document. The link is only accessible to the person who has access to the email address it’s sent to.
‘SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)’ is the standard security technology for encrypted links. One of the most important components of online business is creating a trusted environment where potential customers feel confident in making purchases. SSL certificates create a foundation of trust by establishing a secure connection. This link makes sure that all data passed between the web server and browsers will always be secure and private. SSL allows sensitive information such as credit card numbers, social security numbers, and login credentials to be transmitted securely. Normally, data sent between browsers and web servers is sent in plain text—leaving you vulnerable to eavesdropping. If an attacker is able to intercept all data being sent between a browser and a web server, they can see and use that information.
An audit trail is a step-by-step record by which accounting or trade data can be traced to its source. Audit trails are used to verify and track many types of transactions including accounting transactions and trades in brokerage accounts. An audit trail is most often utilized when the accuracy of an item needs to be verified. Audit trails can be useful tools when determining the validity of an accounting entry, source of funds, or trade.
Any software you use must be capable of doing this. All activity starting from when you upload the document for signing is logged in a full audit trail that’s attached to the envelope in your account.
As a sender, you’ll have the option to password protect your documents, which adds another layer of security to your signing process. Password protection allows only those with an authorized password to gain access to certain information. Passwords provide the first line of defense against unauthorized access to your personal information.
“The cloud” refers to servers that are accessed over the Internet, and the software and databases that run on those servers. When a document has been signed and completed, it’s stored securely in the Cloud where only users YOU give permission are able to access it. Another reason why cloud storage is safe is that the files stored on cloud servers are encrypted. This means that they are scrambled, which makes it far harder for cybercriminals to access.
Direct Link to the E-signature
Your email address and IP address will be linked to the secure electronic signature and it will be possible to validate this.
No change of content of the signed document:
If anyone attempts to alter the document’s content after signing, a notification will be sent to all parties.
E-Signature Software enhances the overall collaboration and productivity within a company and is becoming popular between legal departments for contract processing with clients and outside counsel because they provide an easy way to create electronic signatures securely. In many legal cases, documents that have been signed with e-signatures have provided the evidence needed to win the case. This is where a physical signature would be less secure and harder to validate, meaning its usability in legal cases has become obsolete. Electronic signatures are recognized around the world as a legal substitute for handwritten.
Though the legality of electronic signatures may vary slightly based on the governing authorities, electronic signatures are legal when captured correctly.
In many (not all) cases, electronic signatures are considered the equivalent of a handwritten signature. This is especially true when audit trails can trace the signing process back to the intended recipient.
These audit trails and security checkpoints, as well as the ability to lock a document after a signature solution is applied, create the assurance that the validity of the document can’t be denied.
Key Features of Sign.cc:
- Customizable Signature: Automate the signature for your contracts using the most effective electronic signature software.
- Multi-party Signing: Choose from multiple authorized users when configuring and requesting a document to be signed.
- Document Management: Collect, Deliver, and Compile documents that connect with other authorized users.
- Pre-designed Templates: Use 15+ pre-built templates for any form of professional document for faster workflow.
- Team Collaboration: Send documents in your format of choice to anyone via email, google drive, or dropbox. Your recipients can review their documents on any device, at any time.
- Advance Reports: View, track, and get the most accurate overview the moment it’s opened and signed – so you can stay on top of every process and easily manage all your business documents.
Sign.cc is one of the many amazing apps which come with the 500apps.com infinity suite, these apps help organizations to grow and function like a fortune 500 company without spending like one. All these 30+ apps come for as low as 14.99$ per user, which makes it very favorable for small and medium-sized businesses.